Sunday, April 13, 2008

Is there anybody out there?

How do you solve a communication problem if you never get an opportunity to truly communicate?

It's a question that's been plaguing me lately, especially given all the ways we have to communicate: SMS, email, IM.

These examples are great for confirming plans or as a virtual tap on the shoulder in the middle of the day, but do they count as true communication? Can you resolve anything through these methods? Are you supposed to feel satisfied if these are bulk of your interactions with others? When these methods fail you, what do you do?

I've been so busy lately that my in-person time has been drastically reduced with many, and I fear for the state of my relationships with flesh and blood. Today I went back to the UU and realized that I miss smiles, hugs and winks that are the result of muscles and intention, not colons, semi-colons and parentheses.

I miss impromptu cups of tea or walks around the block that bring stream-of-consciousness conversations and digressions that spiral into surrealism.

I miss conspiratorial body language and seeing connection grow through unconscious touches.

I want to live in the real world again.

No comments: