Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Books to avoid

Into every life, some rain must fall...

So I've been reading a bit more these days - I ran into a heavily laden $1 cart at Half-price books and picked up a few pieces for summer - and Visible Voice is a great resource when craving a good read in a comfy chair.

In bookstores, I go with my gut, and recently, my gut has been so wrong.

I stumbled upon a used copy of this and thought it would be a good read. With a title like "Manliness" I didn't think I could go wrong. I thought maybe some Freud or war talk would dull it up a bit, but I was expecting to be led on horseback into the deep, craggy recesses of the masculine brain. I was looking for answers, dammit! And instead I get...
"...The American Patriarch, if you want to call him that..."
"...Dagwood Bumstead..."
"nondescript , codified human beings......."

snore.

My second strike was this piece of tripe. Which is pretty much the worst assult on the written word - ever. I thought it would be good for beach reading - nope. I think a seagull laughed at me when he saw what I was reading.

My third strike was this. Not as bad as the other two - I'm still making my way through it - but for a GREAT novel along similar lines, go for Geek Love - HANDS DOWN a better read.

I'm also reading this, this, and this...which are making up for the awful.

Research, sarah, do your reseach before you open your wallet...

good girl.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Geek Love is one of my all-time favorite books. So wonderful.