Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Cupcakes!

My oldest friend -
the one who I met when I was 10
the one who jumped across the fountain even after I jumped and skinned my knees and broke my glasses
the one who I essentially treat as a sister -
is having a baby soon.

Which is at the same time totally sensical and insane at the same time.
My first reaction when I hear a peer of mine is expecting is "Oh crap! Do her parents know? Is she going to have to skip prom/take a semester off?" and then I remember that I'm a grown-ass woman and pregnancy has undergone the change from dreaded situation that sends everything off course to a wanted condition that one now "tries for."

That said, I couldn't be happier to be an auntie and have been knitting up a storm for the Little Perk.
Last Sunday was the shower, and I used the opportunity to bake a cake from scratch - something I've never done.

It went over well, as evidenced by the slice I was able to sneak out before it was all gone.



I really liked this recipe and had some buttermilk and lemons left over, so I decided to make a batch of cupcakes for office, friends & parents.

I'm trying to get into the habit of prepping with mise en place before each recipe, and this one was so winsome that I decided to share (Note usage of new, fab ceramic pieces.)



The frosting is a lovely cream cheese recipe, but I added almond extract in addition to vanilla, just to make it my own.
I also tried piping the frosting on the cupcakes, and I thought it was much easier (and led to better presentation).

All my little cupcakes lined up in delicious rows...

No comments: