Thursday, April 2, 2009

Deaccessioning

From the Wikipedia Entry:
Deaccessioning, the process of disposing, selling or trading objects from a museum collection, is not undertaken lightly in most museums. There are ethical issues to consider since many donors of objects typically expect the museum to care for them in perpetuity. Deaccessioning of an object in a collection may be appropriate if a museum has more than one example of that object and if the object is being transferred to another museum. It may also be appropriate if an object is badly deteriorated or threatening other objects.


Over the years I've collected a lot of Things.
Things that had meaning.
Things I gave meaning.
Things whose meaning changed.

Over the years, especially since the fire and my father's illness, Things have shifted to the extreme ends of the meaning continuum. They either mean everything (Things my father made) or nothing (Things that staged the environment in which I wanted to live.)

So I have been slowly, but regularly, deaccessioning Things.

Today I parted with a clock I purchased at an art auction. I always wanted a piece by this artist; he lives down the street and has a wonderful eye, subtle wit and national reputation.

But I have a small apartment and the neon is overwhelming when its on - and it should be on.

So I donated it to another art auction, and found out a friend wanted it, so I delivered it to him today, and he's writing the check out to the nonprofit I donated to.

So deaccessioning for the good of others - AND this piece has now raised money for two local nonprofits.

This Thing has a new life now.
And that makes me very happy.

No comments: