Monday, September 29, 2008

Sculpture Garden

One of my favorite things on Kelleys Island is Charles Herndon's sculpture garden.  It's located on the east side of the island, south of the airport - hidden waaaay back there.  

I became acquainted with his work when I was doing a project for the Natural History Museum that featured works created from glacial erratics.



He had a number of female nudes that appeared to be cast in concrete, and the human form is often abstracted in some of his other pieces as well.





A number of other works are large red or black abstract shapes, but I'm particularly fond of this one. I have a weakness for the quattrofoil shape.



This bell is spectacular. I can't imagine what it must weigh... The sound (when you wack the wooden ram against it) is clear and resonant and beautiful.




I like to think that someday, when I have a garden that's my own, I'll fill it with art as well.

No comments: