Monday, April 21, 2008

Market dinner

I've been trying to make a habit of going to the West Side Market to increase my intake of fresh foods; fruits and veggies especially. I go at lunch on Mondays or Wednesdays with a friend, when it's fairly calm, but less is open... which actually makes it easier (and cheaper - less temptation.)

I always hit The Basketeria for spring mix, snap beans that eat like Cheetos (only with far less sodium and orange powder residue but satisfying crunchiness intact), and any other veggie you can imagine. They have excellent selection, prices and quality - something that you can't always count on from all vendors.

I get my fruits from Calabrese Produce, a suggestion from a friend who's worked in and out of local restaurants, so I trusted him and found my vendor. From them I get my pineapples, strawberries, avocados... all the things that shouldn't be available at this time of year in Ohio, but thank goodness, are. Ditto the excellent selection, prices and quality - who knew an April plum could eat like candy.

Today I splurged and got a pound of mushroom ravioli from Ohio City Pasta. A friend always raved about their pasta, so I decided to give it whirl for dinner.

I'm quite pleased with what I put together from my lunchtime foray-
mushroom ravioli sauteed with onions, mushrooms and chicken in fresh pesto
salad with avocado and fuji apples, with dressed with left over sweet-lemon vinaigrette from the Souper Market.

Such a lucky girl to have this resource...

No comments: