Sunday, May 20, 2007

Silhouettes



On June 21, 1953 my grandmother married my grandfather. It was a second marriage for both of them and my model for a working partnership. They took a short first honeymoon in Niagra Falls and the following year, went to Mexico. It was there they had this silhouette done.

My grandmother is recently widowed, and as a way to celebrate their 52 years together, I was asked to design, coordinate and create a family quilt for her. The sticking point had been what to put in the center.... but then I saw the silhouettes in her guest bedroom.

I took it to a friend's studio in the neighborhood, and they scanned, retouched and shaded it into this....



Aren't they GOOD?! I love it when skill and technology meet up.

They printed it on fabric so I can stitch it into the quilt top and get it to the "real" quilter to finish it.

No comments: